The Alerty App

Support forum for the Alerty app.
roobarb!
Site Admin

Re: The Alerty App

Post by roobarb! » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:12 pm

Right, the app should now be available in all App Stores and now has support for British Gas Safe & Secure systems! :)
Alerty - control your AlertMe system with my third-party app for iPhone and iPod Touch. Available on iTunes!

jb5ep

Post by jb5ep » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:51 pm

Hi,

Over the moon to find an app that supports the BG safe and secure system!

I've bought Alerty, but when i open it, it just freezes. The message 'Head over to the details tab...' is shown, but touching there (or anywhere on the screen) doesn't do anything.

I'm on an iPhone 5S, running iOS 8.0.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jon

roobarb!
Site Admin

Post by roobarb! » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:36 pm

jb5ep wrote:Over the moon to find an app that supports the BG safe and secure system!

I've bought Alerty, but when i open it, it just freezes. The message 'Head over to the details tab...' is shown, but touching there (or anywhere on the screen) doesn't do anything.

I'm on an iPhone 5S, running iOS 8.0.

Any ideas?
That's weird - are you sure it's crashed? There's a 'pulsing' tick icon on the dialogue box. You should just need to tap on that and the box will disappear, after which you can switch over to the Details tab, choose your system and enter your account username and password.

I've just reset my copy here and there's no crash on my phone or the simulator that I can see. Give that tick a tap and see what happens! If it crashes, it should drop you back to the Springboard (Home Screen).

Perhaps I should put a timeout on that welcome message, so it vanishes on it's own after a few seconds. :)
Alerty - control your AlertMe system with my third-party app for iPhone and iPod Touch. Available on iTunes!

jb5ep

Post by jb5ep » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:52 pm

DOH! Yes, that worked fine - thanks. Yeah, a timeout would maybe help.

This is fantastic - breathes life into a system that I thought was dead and gone! Great stuff.

I'd heard a rumour that BG were rolling in a relaunch of safe and secure into Hive - are you aware of anything along those lines?

Cheers,
Jon

roobarb!
Site Admin

Post by roobarb! » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:18 pm

Great - glad it's working for you! I spotted a couple of minor cosmetic things in v1.53, so another update will appear at some point soon. Just wish I had more time to work on it! Definitely want to add firmware upgrading one day. They're not always pushed automatically, so a control for it instead of phoning support would be nice.

Don't have any insider knowledge on the Hive system, but those additions wouldn't surprise me in the least. It's 100% AlertMe underneath and they've done a great job getting those little hubs into people's homes. Wouldn't make sense not to expand the features!

Braeside

Post by Braeside » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:19 pm

Thank you for Alerty, it works with iOS 11 too unlike the AlertMe app :D
Is this Safe and Secure still available? If so it might be the answer for me with my otherwise orphaned AlertMe gear.

roobarb!
Site Admin

Post by roobarb! » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:34 pm

I’m trying to find out about this myself. Safe and Secure is no longer actively sold by British Gas, but they do still have a number to call to order additional devices - not that I’ve tried calling it, mind you. I have a S&S system which I used for testing the app with (as has a friend) and we’ve had no notification that it’s going at the same time as the AlertMe branded gear. So, I’m taking the Hive offer (because it’s actually a pretty generous one when you check the pricing - even if you were to ditch it later and eBay the parts) and will shift all of my AlertMe devices to S&S and use it properly.

It’s just a shame some features I really liked in AlertMe are missing in S&S. I was given access to the API docs some years ago and I believe the functionality is in there - just not brought out on that early revamp of the UI. A lot more work has gone in to the Hive variant.

I get very little time to work on programming these days, but I was going to push a minor iOS11 update to Alerty with a notification in the update info about the discontinuation and offer, just so people don’t miss out.

Rambling away from the point there; I think eBay would be your best bet for a second hand S&S system - though how long BG will keep it online is another matter. A different deal to AlertMe though (who probably want to ditch all but B2B support at this stage) so it may be with us for a while yet. The real shame are the devices - there’s really no technical reason they couldn’t be used on Hive.

Oh, one last possibility - you could try to import a Lowes Iris system from the US. No guarantee it would pair with the UK gear, but that was a pre-BG system licensed direct from AlertMe.

And thanks for using Alerty, by the way! :)

Braeside

Post by Braeside » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:04 pm

Thanks for all that. After due consideration I have decided to cut my losses and ditch the AlertMe hardware, as I doubt any of it will be useful after the cutoff date. I don’t even think it could be sold on eBay, though it is amazing what useless junk people will buy there ;)

I don’t plan to use Hive as it doesn’t meet my needs at all, though I could indeed get the hardware less the thermostat as they have offered. They will instead offer a sensor pack which is what you would get less the Hive thermostat but with an additional motion sensor.

I don’t think you can get the Hive thermostat without getting it installed by BG, I presume they are paying for this free hardware offer by getting you to take out a subscription, as there is no such thing as a free lunch.

I suppose I could eBay the new Hive stuff, and chase AlertMe for the credit accumulated on the SIM card in the hub, and that would go part way towards funding a different system which currently looks like the Samsung SmartThings which has no subscription, and as it handles both ZigBee and Z-Wave devices, has a huge range of sensors, supports my existing RING video doorbell (highly recommended). I’ll be able to add a siren/strobe, CO and smoke detectors, outside lights etc etc. I can build it up slowly as time and money permits.

Thank you again for Alerty, I used it a lot as the official AlertMe offering was so poor and unsupported and now broken in iOS 11.