Support forum for the Alerty app.
roobarb!
Site Admin

The Alerty App

Post by roobarb! » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:19 am

Alerty
16th April 2014

Available Now!

I've been working on a third-party interface to AlertMe based Energy and Security systems. Developed for the iPhone and iPod Touch, Alerty uses AlertMe and British Gas APIs to bring a new control interface to users of AlertMe's systems. It has been built to be quick and straightforward to use, but also able to provide a few more technical details about your Hub and its devices.

The app works with AlertMe-based system purchased directly from AlertMe or from British Gas!

This includes 'Safe and Secure', AlertMe's original Security system and the currently available Energy Kit. The more devices you have on your system, the more features are available in the app. It can currently control SmartPlugs, provide readings and summary information on your energy use, as well as provide full control over arming and disarming the alarm system.

There is also a handy Devices view, which lists every device on your system and a variety of pieces of information about them, such as battery level, temperature readings and much more.

I welcome comments and support questions for the app in this forum; I've priced it at £2.99, which is what I would like to think of as 'pintware'. It seems to have become a theme for any software I develop. :)

NB. The app is not currently compatible with the Hive heating system.
Alerty - control your AlertMe system with my third-party app for iPhone and iPod Touch. Available on iTunes!

wobbles

Re: The Alerty App

Post by wobbles » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:34 pm

Hi Roobarb!

I have sent you a PM but it is still sitting in my Outbox for some reason.

Q - Will you be able to accessing from there?

Cheers

Wobbles

roobarb!
Site Admin

Post by roobarb! » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:53 pm

wobbles wrote:I have sent you a PM but it is still sitting in my Outbox for some reason.
Yeah, they sit there until they're read. Read and responded now!
Alerty - control your AlertMe system with my third-party app for iPhone and iPod Touch. Available on iTunes!

roobarb!
Site Admin

Post by roobarb! » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:54 am

I'm in the midst of the iOS 7 update to Alerty at the moment and I've had to make a decision with regard to iOS 6.

Unfortunately, although it was not originally my intention to do so, I'm going to drop iOS 6 support in the next release. There have been so many user interface changes in iOS 7 that maintaining a cross-compatible version is just going to be too time consuming for a one-man-band and would probably result in a compromised app for both platforms.

In reality this really means that I'm dropping support for the iPhone 3GS, but I'll make sure that the previous release of Alerty is always available.

Apologies to anyone that might be affected by this.

daroca

Post by daroca » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:41 pm

Hi Roobarbi,

I've just purchased your app.

I'll let you know my thoughts after I have had a play... I like to look of it in the screenshots.

-Daroca.

roobarb!
Site Admin

Post by roobarb! » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:29 am

daroca wrote:I've just purchased your app.

I'll let you know my thoughts after I have had a play... I like to look of it in the screenshots.
Great stuff - hope it's working out well for you! Next on my fix-it list with the app is improving its behaviour on cellular networks; it's a little impatient at the moment, but there are some new features in iOS 7 that I can make use of to hopefully make this better.

Cheers!

gadgethome

Post by gadgethome » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:31 pm

Any plans to port it to android or a web based app?

roobarb!
Site Admin

Post by roobarb! » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:56 pm

gadgethome wrote:Any plans to port it to android or a web based app?
Nope, I'm afraid not.

There are plenty of API scripts out there on which to build a web interface and as everyone's needs are different, I can't see it being massively helpful. As for Android, there's such a variety of devices, capabilities, versions, development systems, screen sizes... that's a headache I just don't need! ;)

CM75

Post by CM75 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:30 pm

Hi,

I bought my AlertMe system in 2009 when I was living in the UK. I've since moved abroad but I'm still using it. It's a shame you can't get replacements any more, as one of my keyfobs is slowly disintegrating.

Anyway, about your app: I would love to buy it, but I'm not using the UK AppStore. Would there be any disadvantage for you if you made your app available in other countries? I'm currently using the German AppStore, but maybe there are more users abroad.

Cheers from Sweden (yes, I move around a bit)
CM

roobarb!
Site Admin

Post by roobarb! » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:35 am

CM75 wrote:Anyway, about your app: I would love to buy it, but I'm not using the UK AppStore. Would there be any disadvantage for you if you made your app available in other countries? I'm currently using the German AppStore, but maybe there are more users abroad.
Apologies for my delayed response! Yes, I'll happily make it available in other stores. I chose a selection of stores where English was the primary language (UK, US, Aus, NZ, etc) because the app doesn't have language localisation, but in hindsight that probably wasn't the cleverest of moves!

I've just submitted v1.50 with a fairly major update (for new users rather than existing, but it's still pretty exciting) and I'll have a look at making that available in other stores as soon as possible.

Hope you like it when you can finally get hold of it! :)