Getting Started

Support forum for the Alerty app.
roobarb!
Site Admin

Getting Started

Post by roobarb! » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:01 pm

First; thanks for becoming a beta tester!

Beta testing for Alerty will basically require you to run the latest beta, give it some hammer and report back to this beta section of the forum on anything that behaves strangely or you think could be improved upon. There will undoubtably be faults and problems and crashes, and the more information you can provide when this happens, the easier it should be for me to replicate it and fix the problem.

However, to be able to run software that has not been approved by Apple, you do need to jump through a few hoops first! :)

1. Unique Device ID

First of all, you will need an iPhone or iPod Touch running iOS 6.1 or later. To be able to run Alerty betas, I will need to register your chosen development device on my Developer Account, to prove to Apple that you're happy to run my unchecked code. To do this, you will need to send me your device's UDID code. I've uploaded an attachment showing how you can get this from iTunes.
udid_instructions.png
Retrieve your UDID from iTunes
Once you have this, please send it to me as a PM. As the name suggests, it's unique to your device, so best not to wave it around all over the 'net.

2. Install via iTunes

When a new beta is ready, I need to sign it with a certificate, after which I can make it available for download as a .ipa file. The following should describe how to install this onto your device using iTunes.
install_instructions.png
Installation Instructions
You can then run the app and try it out!

3. Submit Reports

Hopefully you can just report back onto the thread for that particular beta release (which I'll create) and explain what works and what doesn't, but occasionally the app may crash out completely, with no indication as to why. In those circumstances, please submit a crash report, along with an explanation of what you were trying to do at the time.
submit_crash.png
Submitting Crash Reports
It's also really handy if you use the 'Submit Diagnostics' option, which you will find under the little 'i' button on the Details page. This will give me an overview of your system, but please check that you're happy with what it's sending to me first by emailing it to yourself. Just change the destination address on the screen that pops up.

4. That's It!

Please do let me know what you think of the app, and whether there are any additional features you would like to see. Not everything will be possible (time and skill determine what I can do!) but I definitely want to make this a handy and reliable app.

Thanks!
Alerty - control your AlertMe system with my third-party app for iPhone and iPod Touch. Available on iTunes!

AlertmeUsersSay

Re: Getting Started

Post by AlertmeUsersSay » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:13 pm

Looking forward to using it. It looks great from the screenshot in the app store. Well done on what must have been a lot of hard work to get this far. :)

Reminds me of the early alertme days when there was a buzz of what it could become and users as well as alertme staff were really active.