Custom sounds - Can't get them to work :-(

Using your AlertMe, British Gas Hive, Safe & Secure or Iris system.
Sampson

Post by Sampson » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:18 am

Hi,

I've had Alertme security (with lots of extras) for years now. Never worked properly or done everything that it advertised.
Constant reboots hen comming home, not setting, setting randomly and all sorts of madness.
Anyway, just wondering if anyone managed to ever get custom sounds working?
This was something I really wanted and even bought extra devides to support (i.e. letterbox contacts to play a sound when post arrives).

No matter what file type I use I can never get them to work. The hub will do anything else I say (i.e. change lamp 3 to red) but just not play the sound unless I choose a standard built in sound.

Anyone got any tips???

roobarb!
Site Admin

Post by roobarb! » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:01 am

Not really any tips, I'm afraid - other than I think I just used .wav files. Worked perfectly for me out of the box (used to use one of the effects from iChat as an indicator that a keyfob had arrived home).
Alerty - control your AlertMe system with my third-party app for iPhone and iPod Touch. Available on iTunes!

Sampson

Re: Custom sounds - Can't get them to work :-(

Post by Sampson » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:54 am

Thanks for the swift reply.
I guess (as I kinda already knew I suppose) my system is just more broken than average.
Besides it has to do the old 'click then reboot' everytime you load a new custom sound, just as it does for nearly every other setting change and many simple day to day events (like coming home).
It's just useless. :|

Sampson

Re: Custom sounds - Can't get them to work :-(

Post by Sampson » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:09 pm

Wow... I can't beleive it! You solved my issue!

Two years+ of alertme trying to fix this, sending me sounds they promised worked on all other systems, confirming sounds I sent them did work, sending back entire hub etc.

All I did was try an ichat sound effect on a whim which it refused to upload (aiff file) so I renamed it to wav and it worked!
Seems my hub hates ogg, mp3 and wav files however an aiff file renamed to a wav file is fine!

Doesn't seem to like them more than 5seconds long or so, which is a real shame as I wanted messaged like "welcome home lord of a mannor... ruler of the... etc etc" but short ones are working.

I'm sure i tried something similar once, perhaps on an older firmware, I dunno.

Tested normal wav files again and still didn't like it, only aiff files pretending to be wavs!

Anyway, thanks!

roobarb!
Site Admin

Post by roobarb! » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:35 pm

No problem! How strange that an AIFF headered file works! :)
Alerty - control your AlertMe system with my third-party app for iPhone and iPod Touch. Available on iTunes!