British Gas - Safe & Secure

Using your AlertMe, British Gas Hive, Safe & Secure or Iris system.
Coops

British Gas - Safe & Secure

Post by Coops » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:44 pm

Well my Alertme system finally bit the dust, I was having so many problems with it not arming, losing contact with sensors etc. I bit the bullet and bought the British Gas Safe & Secure system and thought it worth sharing a bit about my experience.

In summary, I'm pretty pleased and overall think I've made the right decision.

The process of purchasing is pretty painless you can opt for the self install and basically for £199 you get a kit consisting of hub, 2 x PIRs (they will ask if you want pet ones which is nice), 1 contact sensor, 2 x key fobs, 1 smart plug and an external decoy siren.

Installation is pretty painless, the hub does need to be directly connected to the router (I use homeplugs in my house) initially but once set-up I've since moved it to my old Alertme hub location using homeplugs (Devolo if it matters) and its very happy there.

The best thing was confirming that you can use the old Alertme devices with the new system, even to my pleasant surprise the Lamps (which you can't buy from British Gas, but once reset they appear in the add device menu) :P. The only downside is that there doesn't appear to be any functionality supported in the menu system, but I only every used them for their repeater properties as I have an old house with thick walls.

With only a few minor hiccups, the new key fobs (I believe the old ones will work too) seem to be a bit hit and miss at setting the alarm, but the app seems good and works on both iOS and Android devices (I have both).

The monthly charge is £8 and there is currently no support for the Alertme camera's but there is a new HD one coming out in the first quarter (I was told by the support staff - Geeksquad).

All in all a good experience, I've cancelled Alertme now - not so much as a why do you want to leave... ah well.

I'm having the remote heating installed in two weeks and will report back on that then too - it does currently mean having two hubs :roll: but hopefully they will get that sorted.

Any questions pleas shout.

Al.

roobarb!
Site Admin

Re: British Gas - Safe & Secure

Post by roobarb! » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:41 am

That's great info, thanks for posting. I couldn't swap to the British Gas system because I rely so much on the AlertMe API, but it may well be an option for others. It would be interesting to see if British Gas devices (like the pet friendly sensors) work with AlertMe kit...
Alerty - control your AlertMe system with my third-party app for iPhone and iPod Touch. Available on iTunes!

terry

Post by terry » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:42 am

This is good news that you can use the existing AlertMe accessories with the Safe and Secure system.

I have been wondering whether it is best to move to the S&S product since AlertMe's lack of innovation, yet they partner with Lowes and British Gas and release new and improved products etc.

Final straw was the new website that went live at the beginning of the month, all of the 'AlertMe' products are listed including the partner products and it seems to be less obvious how to buy their products.

Seriously considering switching to Safe and Secure.

terry

Post by terry » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:44 am

Also, Coops...

Is there anything you've found (other than the camera) that the AlertMe system can do that the S&S system can't?

Can you set up the same sort of alerts etc for the sensors that kind of thing?

Coops

Post by Coops » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:59 pm

HIya - will post a fuller reply in a day or so, but her's a quick update.

I have found that 1 device won't register properly with the S&S hub (a motion detector) but all the others work fine, not sure whjy this one doesn't a reset might fix it so leave that with me. I have noticed that whe I used an original Aletrme contact sensor on the back door is would lose signal, I swapped it for a new S&S one (I can't really see any physical difference but I'll have a closer look) and lo and behold a better signal so there may well be ssome firmware or hardware changes that are not obvious as the cases etc seem to be interchangeable.

Iahve foudn thatt S&S website seems to be more simple and clearer to use, and you can see that its all Alertme code behind the UI (for example the lamp does offer some functionality allowing you to change its colour baed on temperature, energy etc. - which seems to be the same as far as I can recall as the old system) - the Alertme history really shows up when you arm the system and it says "Alertme ......" LOL.

I would suggest that the overall options are simpler, you can set alerts for temperature but it only seems to let you send an email !!

If you have a specific "Can you.... " then I'll give it a go.

All good so far tho' and even the key fobs seem to be working.

Onwards and upwards as they say...

Coops

Post by Coops » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:14 pm

One area where I have noticed a difference in the capabilities of the UI is that on the Alertme hub I was able to setup the system to automatically arm the hub when no-one was at home, I can't see how to do that on the S&S hub.

Cheers,
Al.

cliff

Post by cliff » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:31 pm

Any update on this from anyone on the S&S system especially getting AlertMe cameras to work with it?

roobarb!
Site Admin

Post by roobarb! » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:50 am

'Fraid I have no news - I'd love to get a system to do some testing with, but the cost of that on top of my actual system makes it somewhat restrictive! Hopefully someone else will have had a play with this.
Alerty - control your AlertMe system with my third-party app for iPhone and iPod Touch. Available on iTunes!

markaxtell

Post by markaxtell » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:34 am

If I buy some of the British Gas Safe/Secure equipment will it work with my exisiting alertme hub? Seen as alertme have now stopped selling the security stuff!

roobarb!
Site Admin

Post by roobarb! » Thu May 09, 2013 7:06 am

markaxtell wrote:If I buy some of the British Gas Safe/Secure equipment will it work with my exisiting alertme hub? Seen as alertme have now stopped selling the security stuff!
Yes, anything that AM sold if you buy from BG will work fine. In fact, it's officially supported! The BG-specific products probably won't play, though.