Continue or move on?

Using your AlertMe, British Gas Hive, Safe & Secure or Iris system.
gadgethome

Continue or move on?

Post by gadgethome » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:22 pm

Hi. Been using alertme for about 2 years but wanting to add more devices such as motion detection, door entry etc. Wanted some opinions whether to stay on with alertme or move on to another technology? If so, any recommendations?

Thanks

roobarb!
Site Admin

Re: Continue or move on?

Post by roobarb! » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:44 pm

The question is, what else do you want from your system? Is there some feature that your current system can't give you?

Remember that although development on the AlertMe-own gear has stopped, the services are still here and available for the foreseeable future. If there's another system that can do something that your current one can't, and you want that feature, then perhaps it is time to move on. However, if there's another system out there promising something... well, I'd question whether there's any point jumping ship until they deliver on that promise. Last thing you want to do is buy into another technology that ultimately doesn't deliver everything you want.

Personally, I'm quite happy to stick with it for the time being. The API (which is a biggy for me, for obvious reasons) works well, the hardware does everything that I expect of a connected alarm system, and it's able to chat to the Display from the Energy Kit, which has been a great little addition recently. I also think that at £50, the Energy Kit is a bit of a bargain.

Plus, there are often bargains to be had on devices on eBay! :)
Alerty - control your AlertMe system with my third-party app for iPhone and iPod Touch. Available on iTunes!

gadgethome

Post by gadgethome » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:59 pm

Thanks for the replay. I would like to purchase more smartplugs around the home but would work out too expensive. The other option was to buy something like Remote-Controlled Sockets 3-Pack from maplins for £9.

Also the smart contact sensors do not appear under the shop section. Would like to be notified when the front door is opened/closed.

roobarb!
Site Admin

Post by roobarb! » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:07 pm

All the security gear needs to be bought through British Gas these days. Looks like they've got the UK exclusive on it for now.
Alerty - control your AlertMe system with my third-party app for iPhone and iPod Touch. Available on iTunes!

gadgethome

Post by gadgethome » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:59 am

If I buy the accessories from British Gas will my current alertme system recognize them and will the alertme web interface pick them up?

roobarb!
Site Admin

Post by roobarb! » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:39 pm

Certainly will. Any device that you could buy from AlertMe previously will still work if you buy it from British Gas. It's actually AlertMe's recommendation; they've said they will fully support a system configured with devices from BG. Just don't expect the new, BG-specific devices to work!