GPRS Signal - How's Yours?

Using your AlertMe, British Gas Hive, Safe & Secure or Iris system.

What is your GPRS signal strength usually like?

100-70%
No votes
70-50%
25%
50-30%
13%
30-10%
63%
Less than 10%
No votes

Total votes: 8

roobarb!
Site Admin

GPRS Signal - How's Yours?

Post by roobarb! » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:06 pm

Just a quick poll to see how strong people's GPRS signal tends to be. I've never had any issues with mine, even though it never usually gets above 55%, but then I've only had a GPRS-enabled hub for a fairly short period of time.

Am I right in thinking that it's the Orange network that AlertMe use for their hubs?
Alerty - control your AlertMe system with my third-party app for iPhone and iPod Touch. Available on iTunes!

phil4

Re: GPRS Signal - How's Yours?

Post by phil4 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:56 am

Unfortunately I've find GPRS to be one the weak points of the system. Considering it's single purpose, and despite always having a signal, it's rarely actually worked correctly. Either it didn't fail over to GPRS when an internet connection was lost, or it didn't go back to it's normal broadband when that was restored.

It was a nice idea, but I'm not sure the bugs have ever quite been ironed out.

And yes, I do believe they use Orange.

roobarb!
Site Admin

Post by roobarb! » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:59 pm

phil4 wrote:It was a nice idea, but I'm not sure the bugs have ever quite been ironed out.
Have you had the latest firmware applied to the hub? When I changed to the full hub from PAYG it came with the latest version and I purposely gave it a hard time - killing the internet connection, removing the Ethernet cable; even pulling the plug and walking about the house with the hub. :)

It was rock solid and went back to the wired connection within 10 minutes when restored. I was impressed.

If you're still having trouble, definitely ask support to upgrade your firmware if it hasn't been. I'm on v2.30r1801, which I believe is out of beta now.
Alerty - control your AlertMe system with my third-party app for iPhone and iPod Touch. Available on iTunes!

phil4

Post by phil4 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:21 am

Yep, that's the firmware I'm on currently also. To be fair since I moved to BT Fibre, I've not really had many outtages to test it with, but previous months/years weren't as great. Hopefully it's now sorted.

Madass

Post by Madass » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:23 pm

52% and rock solid. I live on a big hill and funny enough the mobile coverage is pants but I have failed over to mobile and operated smart plugs with no problem (back-up for my central heating controller). Virgin regularly have outages on their cable by me and it always switches across.

Sampson

Post by Sampson » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:58 pm

Currently says 26%.
Despite having 2 Orange mobiles that are ALWAYS on max signal anywhere in the house, my alertme box constantly looses GPS signal.
Probably wouldn't be an really big issue if it didn't frequently loose it's wired network connection as well.