AlertMe have been in contact!

Using your AlertMe, British Gas Hive, Safe & Secure or Iris system.
Weeg

AlertMe have been in contact!

Post by Weeg » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:47 pm

Hi,

Not sure if anyone looks here anymore so I may be talking to myself.

I still use my Alertme system daily and have been since the last10 years!

I received an email today from Alertme saying that they were stopping the Alertme service soon which kills off the system. However, they also offered some free Hive kit!

Anyone else received the email?

Regards,
Weeg

Ryner

Re: Alertme been in contact!

Post by Ryner » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:31 pm

I received this email and am not totally happy but may get the free hive gear. The thermostat looks good but as for the home monitoring I'm not too sure.
Does it have battery back up and 3g backup if your broadband is down
I believe it's £5.99 a month for system but the features dont seem as good as a 10 year old alertme system. It's a real pity they are turning the servers off.

Cheers
Rye

Braeside

Post by Braeside » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:16 pm

I am not interested in their Thermostat, I already have a nice wireless thermostat with programmer which meets my needs and does not rely on an internet connection. I asked Hive if they could provide more sensors in place of the thermostat and they said yes, basically one more motion sensor was included in a sensor pack.

It’s an alarm system I want not a fancy thermostat and mood lighting.

Like you I have had AlertMe for a while, 2010 was when I purchased mine.
It will now be turned into useless landfill, unless it can be made to work with Hive.

Braeside

Post by Braeside » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:39 pm

Incidentally how do I get my credit balance back? which amounts to about £135 currently!
The credit is for the unused top up to the phone card.

mw631774

Post by mw631774 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:09 pm

I have not received anything from AlertMe. Interesting question about the credit balance. Mine is over £100 but I guess you could argue we had the system without paying any monthly charge for years now.

Anyway, I'm gutted that they decided to shutdown the AlertMe servers. I've had my system since 2010 and use it as a security system. I already have a "smart" heating controller from tado and therefore don't really need Hive. I would consider switching to Hive if the AlertMe sensors would work with it but apparently they don't. Therefore there is no reason to stick with AlertMe/Hive.

roobarb!
Site Admin

Re: AlertMe have been in contact!

Post by roobarb! » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:37 pm

mw631774 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:09 pm
I would consider switching to Hive if the AlertMe sensors would work with it but apparently they don't. Therefore there is no reason to stick with AlertMe/Hive.
Yes, I think they're missing a trick here. I'm taking up their offer because I'm interested in playing with the kit and can migrate my existing sensors to the Safe & Secure box I've not been using. I think more people would be tempted across by being able to reuse all of their existing sensors and devices with the Hive Hub. You can pair the SmartPlugs with the Hive Hub, but they apparently only work as network boosters and can't be remote controlled.

There's technically no reason they couldn't do that; then they'd just have to supply all AlertMe customers with a Hive Hub and provide some reset instructions like we have on here for the sensors. Or better yet, tell all AlertMe Hubs to disassociate with their devices on the day of the switch-off so that they're all ready in pairing mode again for Hive.

For the techy-minded, there is actually a way that you can continue to use all of your devices without an AlertMe hub... There's a guy called James Saunders who has written an open source simulation of the Hub. Using a module which can communicate with the devices, he's been able to control SmartPlugs and read sensor data from most of the AlertMe devices. I'm really interested in building this in to Alerty - I've got horribly limited time, but it would be a fun project and would keep the equipment from ending up in landfill.

On the equipment front If anyone is ditching the system entirely I'd really encourage you to eBay it - given that super-geeky folk like myself are willing to play with keeping them working, it provides a source of hardware for tinkering that might otherwise be discarded and lost to experimentation.

Final thing - I actually received my Active Plug, Motion Sensor, Door/Window Sensor and Active Light yesterday. No Hub; I'm assuming that comes with the heating controller installation next week. The new devices are nicely made, now using slightly larger CR123 batteries, which is why the small sensors are now tall rather than square. I prefer the look of the old gear (it's a bit less showy) but the Active Plug looks good with its matt finish. The Active Light is pretty much indistinguishable from a standard IKEA LED lamp. I'll start a new thread about making the switch, I think.
Alerty - control your AlertMe system with my third-party app for iPhone and iPod Touch. Available on iTunes!

roobarb!
Site Admin

Re: AlertMe have been in contact!

Post by roobarb! » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:38 pm

mw631774 wrote:
I have not received anything from AlertMe.
Drop them a line - support@alertme.com. They were very helpful.
Alerty - control your AlertMe system with my third-party app for iPhone and iPod Touch. Available on iTunes!

Braeside

Post by Braeside » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:53 pm

I got a reply from AlertMe and apparently the credit has no actual monetary value and that is in the small print.

I will certainly advertise my AlertMe hardware on this forum once it stops working. I have quite a lot of kit.

The Hive stuff less the thermostat that I am not getting will also be available for purchase from me, if anyone needs more bits. Got to subsidise my new system how :D

Off topic:
I got a Samsung SmartThings kit yesterday as it might be able to do what I want, and the multi sensor had a LEAKING lithium coin cell in it. Samsung have no mechanism for sending me a replacement battery so I have to stump up,for one, and test the sensor, if it is OK then they are happy, if it is faulty then can replace the sensor, how maddening is that?
mw631774 wrote:
I have not received anything from AlertMe. Interesting question about the credit balance. Mine is over £100 but I guess you could argue we had the system without paying any monthly charge for years now.

Anyway, I'm gutted that they decided to shutdown the AlertMe servers. I've had my system since 2010 and use it as a security system. I already have a "smart" heating controller from tado and therefore don't really need Hive. I would consider switching to Hive if the AlertMe sensors would work with it but apparently they don't. Therefore there is no reason to stick with AlertMe/Hive.

Braeside

Post by Braeside » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:11 pm

Just a thought, as the Samsung SmartThings Hub does ZigBee (and Z-Wave for EU frequencies), is it possible in theory to use the AlertMe ZigBee sensors with the ST Hub? All the blurb from the ZigBee alliance stresses the interoperability of ZigBee as a feature, so what is to stop it from working? I can take an old AlertMe sensor and reset it and see if ST will pair with it.

mw631774

Post by mw631774 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:54 pm

roobarb! wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:37 pm
For the techy-minded, there is actually a way that you can continue to use all of your devices without an AlertMe hub... There's a guy called James Saunders who has written an open source simulation of the Hub.
Interesting - I've been looking for alternative hubs and came across this: https://store.hom.ee but it seems PyAlertMe would be the easier route as this is already shown to be working with AlertMe.