Major problems at AlertMe

Using your AlertMe, British Gas Hive, Safe & Secure or Iris system.
terry

Post by terry » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:33 am

For a few weeks I've been having problems with data updating on the dashboard, AlertMe said they were aware of a problem and this was being fixed.

Since Monday night I have been getting constant emails saying that my hub is offline throughout the night.

I contacted AlertMe today and they have said that there has been a big problem since Monday with third party servers causing hubs to go offline.

They say this is a priority and it's being worked on, lets hope so.

Anyone else having problems?

phil4

Re: Major problems at AlertMe

Post by phil4 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Yep, same issue, through the night, on off on off on off etc. etc.

I was up early enough this morning to witness the hub offline. Network was up, internet ok, could even go to secure.alertme.com, but hub offline (and not on GRPS either). Rectified itself a few minutes later.

In a way, hung by their own petard... sending emails to us all to alert us to the fact they're broken. At that time of the day I doubt many would have noticed otherwise.

Currently can't get to secure.alertme.com so suspect their problems are pretty dire at the moment.

bendy

Post by bendy » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:31 am

Yup all completely down with no customer support

I think they may have gone bust.

Shame

terry

Post by terry » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:25 am

I spoke to AlertMe today on their online chat and they have put messages out on Facebook and Twitter.

They are aware and are working on the problem, but this isn't very good at all.

I wonder if this is affecting British Gas Safe & Secure.

roobarb!
Site Admin

Post by roobarb! » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:02 am

There's a problem with the web interface now, as well.
alertmeloginerror.png
alertmeloginerror.png (26.45 KiB) Viewed 6176 times
Update 1: Oh, and the server now seems to be down. No API, no pings.
Update 2: Page seems to be back (pings would appear to be ignored), but still no login.
Update 3: Login now works, but dashboard loads no data.
Alerty - you could control your AlertMe system with my third-party app for iPhone and iPod Touch. Used to be available on iTunes!

roobarb!
Site Admin

Post by roobarb! » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:36 pm

Also, when quizzed for more details on Twitter, AlertMe replied thus:
We'll keep you updated here but the message is on the support site, if you are logged in and search for status update
So, you have to log in (using a login service which is down, so that's easy), then search for 'status update' to find any information. Absolutely ridiculous - if a service is down, post a message on your home page and link to an open status page where users can get information and an explanation of what you are doing to fix the issue.
Alerty - you could control your AlertMe system with my third-party app for iPhone and iPod Touch. Used to be available on iTunes!

terry

Post by terry » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:04 pm

Everything was looking like it was working again but I've just had another email saying the hub was disconnected.

Still having problems it seems!

roobarb!
Site Admin

Post by roobarb! » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:00 am

terry wrote:Everything was looking like it was working again but I've just had another email saying the hub was disconnected.

Still having problems it seems!
I think that email may have been genuine - the server realising that the hub really was disconnected as it came back online. I got one at around the same time.

I did notice yesterday that an alarm trigger (I set it off on purpose when I got home) took nearly three hours for an SMS arrive at my phone. Also, the clock has reverted to GMT instead of BST again.

roobarb!
Site Admin

Post by roobarb! » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:18 am

roobarb! wrote:I did notice yesterday that an alarm trigger (I set it off on purpose when I got home) took nearly three hours for an SMS arrive at my phone. Also, the clock has reverted to GMT instead of BST again.
Just finished a chat with them now; they're aware of the clock issue and are trying out a fix on my system today. They had a massive backlog on the server, which has now been cleared, so SMS should be back to normal now as well.

Hehe. I've just noticed that this forum is still on GMT. :roll:

roobarb!
Site Admin

Post by roobarb! » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:21 am

roobarb! wrote:Hehe. I've just noticed that this forum is still on GMT. :roll:
Right, well, I've changed the settings in the board config and under your User Control Panel (top left) you can configure BST under 'Board preferences'. ;)

phil4

Post by phil4 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:04 am

Looks like they have the same problem again today, hub emailed at 3:20am saying offline, all internet fine, but can't log in to secure.alertme.com

This is getting a bit troubling for what is fundamentally something they want running your whole house! Not good when for in excess of 3 hours it can't and won't.

roobarb!
Site Admin

Post by roobarb! » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:28 am

Hate to say it, but I see the same thing. No emails received, but the web login and API appear to be down.

roobarb!
Site Admin

Post by roobarb! » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:39 am

Okay, API now seems to be back and web login has let me in, but no data on dashboard.

phil4

Post by phil4 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:05 pm

Looks to be down again. Can't log in, just hangs. Same on iphone app.

Logs suggest it started about an hour ago.

Not good, pain in the arse.

roobarb!
Site Admin

Post by roobarb! » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:32 pm

Confirmed here. API is down, web login is dead. It's really not good enough, if while these systems are off the security side is essentially useless. :(

roobarb!
Site Admin

Post by roobarb! » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:19 am

...and it's back this morning. I wonder if it's a maintenance task or something running on the server that's killing the login? If it is, they really need to sort it out.

phil4

Post by phil4 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:23 am

Looking at post times etc, looks like it was down for in excess of 2 hours. Regardless of the cause it's pretty much unacceptable.

This isn't ADSL, or the milkman, this is supposed to be either a home security system, or a home automation system. In both cases it needs to be working 100% of the time, otherwise it seriously impacts the ability of both, with consequences.

This clearly isn't a one off, and isn't a "couple of minute" thing. Yet, no apologies.

As you say, it needs sorting.

terry

Post by terry » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:08 am

Hate to say it but I don't think AlertMe care any more about their customers.

The time on my display has been an hour fast since the clock change and despite me contacting AlertMe a number of times, they're still 'working on a fix' for the issue.

I have to have the timezone on my hub at +1 so the times in the home monitoring are correct, again, they're still 'working on a fix' for that too (they're not connected because the display time doesn't change regardless of the timezone).

Add to that we're still waiting on the new interface for the monitoring which has been on their website almost a year now.

I am guessing they rushed the new monitoring interface for British Gas and then realised that half of the existing functionality wasn't in the new interface. Now they've got the task of adding it all in.

If you look through the pages on the website for the new interface, there's no way to do loads of the things AlertMe can do now, so that looks like the problem to me. Might be wrong though.

roobarb!
Site Admin

Post by roobarb! » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:13 am

I'd agree - they delivered a great product, realised that they wouldn't make their fortune alone and went chasing funding, utilities and major stores. It seems to be working out for them, but there's no doubt us 'early adopters' (which I saw us referred to as in one of their presentations) have been rather sidelined.

I'm not in the least bothered in a new interface, particularly when it can't do half of what the old one can (and I agree on your reasoning why), but their inability or unwillingness to fix basic issues (clock, downtime) is highly problematic for a system you're supposed to trust. I'll be honest, my faith and trust in them is gone. They'll have to fix some things (not just promise, actually fix them) before they start to win it back. However, while the system works, I'll stick with it and I have no issue with irritating their support staff to death with repeated queries.

Oh, and in another of their presentations I also saw our interface described as 'very old'. Although the rest of the talk was very interesting.

Finally, one thing they should never have done is promise things that they weren't going to deliver. Timer option for the SmartPlugs, anyone? And don't lie to us. If they can't fix the clock issue, they should be honest. And if they won't fix it because we're no longer important to them, then they should be honest about that too.

phil4

Post by phil4 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:02 am

Look at who's running the show now, ex-bosses of Tiscali, a nice big ISP.

They're never going to worry about individual customers, we'll just be a number (as in "number of existing customers") on a graph and a source of income.

Provided they can sell to new customers and exploit new markets, the only reason they'll get worried is if either a) there is an en-mass uprising and exodus or b) bad press

With the pace of things of late, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have any dev staff, or very very few at that. Has there been anything new in labs in the past year?

As I said at the start, I think the new management are running this like a large ISP, with expected churn, expected problems, and provided they've growth opportunity, they won't worry about "minor bugs" (in their eyes) or us as individuals.

roobarb!
Site Admin

Post by roobarb! » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:40 pm

How have people been getting on over the past couple of weeks? I've had the odd 'reappeared' message in the logs, but nothing more problematic than that recently.

phil4

Post by phil4 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:26 pm

Similar to you, last incident I think was Tuesday, hub dissapeared and reappeared later (a few hours as I recall). No internet problems (checked and that was working), so odd, but also not great that the SIM card backup didn't kick in either.

wildcat

Post by wildcat » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:01 pm

Does anyone know the new support phone numbers?

roobarb!
Site Admin

Post by roobarb! » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:55 pm

wildcat wrote:Does anyone know the new support phone numbers?
Didn't know they'd changed.. You could try a quick chat session from your account and ask them if they're not in the usual places.

terry

Post by terry » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:23 pm

Do the numbers here not work?

https://www.alertme.com/help

They do seem to be making it difficult to find information and buy the kit on the new website.

roobarb!
Site Admin

Post by roobarb! » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:18 am

terry wrote:Do the numbers here not work?

https://www.alertme.com/help

They do seem to be making it difficult to find information and buy the kit on the new website.
Those numbers are fine, so far as I know. Also, the chat feature is always pretty swift - I've used that a lot.

They've added a shop button to the right side of the web page now too.