Smart things

Extending the system, interesting uses and API twiddling.
gadgethome

Smart things

Post by gadgethome » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:13 pm

Bit of a long shot but anyone managed to get alertme sensors to work with the new Amazon Echo or Samsung Smartthings?
Thanks
Paul

roobarb!
Site Admin

Re: Smart things

Post by roobarb! » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:29 am

You'd need to have something in between the two, such as the IFTT service or some of your own code - there's no way to directly link the two, unfortunately. The AlertMe / Hive sensors chat over a protocol called Zigbee, which neither the Echo or Samsung systems support.

Although... if you're using Hive rather than AlertMe, there are some features supported by the Echo, I believe. Maybe just thermostat setting, but I'm sure I remember hearing about something.
Alerty - control your AlertMe system with my third-party app for iPhone and iPod Touch. Available on iTunes!

gadgethome

Post by gadgethome » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:07 pm

Thank you for your reply.

jamesleesaunders

Post by jamesleesaunders » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:43 pm

Smartthings does actually support Zigbee, but no one has written the ST device code (yet) to be able to communicate with the Hive/AlertMe devices. This is because Hive have opted for to drift slightly away from the standard Zigbee HA protocol making it non-standard.

It is theoretically possible to write SmartThings 'devise drivers' which would be able to communicate directly with Hive/AlertMe devices.