Camera Hacking

Extending the system, interesting uses and API twiddling.
roobarb!
Site Admin

Camera Hacking

Post by roobarb! » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:43 pm

It's probably well known that the camera isn't an AlertMe original product, but a Sercomm RC8021. Here the datasheet from the manufacturer. This is no bad thing; it's a decent camera that has some handy features for tying in to other systems, and it runs Linux! It also means that you can probably buy an RC8021 (or compatible) camera from anywhere and it should work with the AlertMe.

The point of this post is just to mention that you can download the source code for the camera and have a play around with it, should you be inclined. The code is available from Sitecom who also offer the camera as a Sitecom WL-404. The owner of this site has already taken the code and recompiled it with IPv6 support and SSH. :)

Now, just to mention, I have not reflashed my camera with this firmware (although I have compiled it myself and it spits out a firmware image with no trouble). This is because I don't have an image of the original firmware to put back on should AlertMe stop talking to it, so this is very much at your own risk if you choose to try it! Mind you, if you're up to compiling your own firmware for the camera, you probably know that already. ;)
Alerty - control your AlertMe system with my third-party app for iPhone and iPod Touch. Available on iTunes!

vale4674

Re: Camera Hacking

Post by vale4674 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:41 pm

Hi,

is it possible to use RC8021 as standalone camera and configure it to stream to some IP address?
I would then use it inside a flash player embedded in browser (JWPlayer or something line this).
Or do I need a router in combination with camera?

I have this camera that came with AlertMe system but I would like to use it in my own application so what are my options?

Thx.

BobbyBrownPants

Re: Camera Hacking

Post by BobbyBrownPants » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:42 pm

So I can buy one of these:

http://plum-plus.co.uk/finesight-rc8021 ... on-amazon/

search for a new device on the AlertMe UI and it will find it and I'll be able to use it for remote recording?