AlertMe.com Api v5 Documentation

Extending the system, interesting uses and API twiddling.
daroca

AlertMe.com Api v5 Documentation

Post by daroca » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:37 pm

This morning, I was trying to use the alertme v5 API, and was testing some of the code written by Peter Batey, which he mentioned in these forums, I then noticed I could no longer access the on inline draft docs https://api.alertme.com/v5/docs/‎, as it now requests a username and password for authentication my alertme account do not appear to work, I still can use the v2 API.

Can someone confirm if it is just my account.

Thanks,
Daroca.

roobarb!
Site Admin

Re: AlertMe.com Api v5 Documentation

Post by roobarb! » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:33 am

daroca wrote:Can someone confirm if it is just my account.
It's not just your account - I can no longer get access either. Hmm, this is not good news. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Alerty - control your AlertMe system with my third-party app for iPhone and iPod Touch. Available on iTunes!

ChrisB75

Post by ChrisB75 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:51 pm

What are they up to????

ChrisB75

Post by ChrisB75 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:25 pm

I understand its for security reasons to control and know who is accessing their api and ensure its restricted to their customers, fair enough :) Suggest you contact customer support.

roobarb!
Site Admin

Post by roobarb! » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:26 pm

ChrisB75 wrote:I understand its for security reasons to control and know who is accessing their api and ensure its restricted to their customers, fair enough :) Suggest you contact customer support.
Well, if that's the case, that's reasonable. If I had an API, I'd be quite interested in knowing who was using it as well.

I have tried to use the 'caller ID' function in the API that you can use to declare who you are (or more correctly, what you are) but it's never seemed to work properly. Means that anything done via my app only ever shows up as 'via API' rather than 'via Alerty'.
Alerty - control your AlertMe system with my third-party app for iPhone and iPod Touch. Available on iTunes!

roobarb!
Site Admin

Post by roobarb! » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:06 am

Just to let you all know that Craig at AlertMe sent through my API username and password today. The word is that they didn't want their whole API floating around on the internet any more, but they're more than happy for users of the system to request access. They're very willing to give access to folk who want to write stuff, so don't be put off if you're thinking of getting stuck in to some coding.

I may well put a little more time into my AlertMe Python library in the light of this too; it makes the jump to doing all of the basics a lot more straightforward than having to grub around the API, reinventing the wheel.