AlertMe given up on Home Monitoring

Where the complaints live.
terry

AlertMe given up on Home Monitoring

Post by terry » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:24 pm

So it looks like AlertMe have finally given up on Home Monitoring.

It's no longer available to purchase on their shop, and they're no longer selling the accessories either.

This is such a shame from a company that showed so much potential a few years ago, it looks like they've just sold themselves to the big boys and threw their customer service in the bin.

roobarb!
Site Admin

Re: AlertMe given up on Home Monitoring

Post by roobarb! » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:22 am

Wow, that is a shame. I'll be giving them a call tomorrow to see what's going on. Interesting that they were selling the same products as British Gas, but cheaper, and by quite a margin.
Alerty - control your AlertMe system with my third-party app for iPhone and iPod Touch. Available on iTunes!

terry

Post by terry » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:36 am

I've spoken to them today, and the reason they aren't offering it is because British Gas offer their product as Safe & Secure (which makes sense).

They have also now admitted that some accessories will work with the AlertMe hub.

Here's the response...

We will still continue to support the Smart Monitoring service.

Our Smart Monitoring service is no longer available to new customers as this service is now available as Safe & Secure from our partner British Gas.

Safe & Secure is a comparable product with many more accessories available including smoke, carbon monoxide, gas and water detectors as well as a pet friendly motion sensor and indoor and outdoor sirens.

There are no current plans to change the smart monitoring service for existing AlertMe customers.

Safe & Secure can be found at http://www.britishgas.co.uk/myhome under products and services.

For Smart Plugs and Motion Sensors

We are currently out of stock, but a compatible Smart Plug/Motion Sensor can be purchased from the British Gas http://www.britishgas.co.uk/myhome.

Please note:

Not all British Gas accessories are compatible with the AlertMe hub
Any accessories connected to the AlertMe hub are supported by AlertMe as usual

roobarb!
Site Admin

Post by roobarb! » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:00 am

terry wrote:I've spoken to them today, and the reason they aren't offering it is because British Gas offer their product as Safe & Secure (which makes sense). They have also now admitted that some accessories will work with the AlertMe hub.
We must have spoken to them at pretty much the same time!

Yes, the official line is that they are no longer selling the Monitoring kit to new customers, but the service and support will continue to existing customers. Regarding the availability of devices, they have said that any new devices that might be needed can be bought from British Gas directly and will work with our existing AlertMe systems. They will also officially support the use of those devices. This only extends to those devices that the system already understands, though - so we can't go buying water leak detectors and expect the existing dashboard to understand how to use them.

So that's the official line. Reading the spaces in between, as has become highly evident over the couple of years, AlertMe themselves are really only interested in marketing the technology to third parties and providing (ie. selling to them) support. For us customers who remember the old AlertMe, that's a real shame - but I can't honestly say that they've gone the wrong way. You only have to look at this video about the Lowe's Iris system to see what happens when a company really runs with the AlertMe platform: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5InuvD3t6kQ.

That leaves us lot in the UK with two problems. First of all, British Gas. They've really not gone all-out like Lowe's have, so we're left with their more limited implementation of the system. I'd love to get my hands on an Iris system to play with and see how well it works in this country.

Second, is the API. Now this isn't a big thing to most, but for me it's one of the most important things to have. And the BG system doesn't have it. So I'll be sticking to AlertMe's own gear like glue until another provider comes along!
Alerty - control your AlertMe system with my third-party app for iPhone and iPod Touch. Available on iTunes!

terry

Post by terry » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:49 am

roobarb! wrote:That leaves us lot in the UK with two problems. First of all, British Gas. They've really not gone all-out like Lowe's have, so we're left with their more limited implementation of the system. I'd love to get my hands on an Iris system to play with and see how well it works in this country.
This is what frustrates me the most, the limited system that BG offer.

I would switch to safe and secure if they offered a system like the Lowes one, or even if it had the function of the current AlertMe system.

I have emailed BG today to ask them a few questions about their system (auto arm when no one at home, heating controller integration etc).

We can only hope that either BG will expand their system or someone else in the UK will partner with AlertMe to bring us a complete system like the Lowes one.

m@t

Post by m@t » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:44 pm

Wow, just spotted this, clarity at last, I'm almost relieved. This seems really non core for British Gas, but I guess if the average gas bill is around £60 a month, a few more quid for doing not very much just adds to their bottom line.

Ebay battles are going to get more vicious :-D might be a good time to sell a system.... or not.. as the subscription may not be transferrable. Ouch.

roobarb!
Site Admin

Post by roobarb! » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:13 am

You can definitely sell a system to another person - when I spoke to them they seemed happy to allow new account registrations with previously sold devices, just as long as the previous owner contacts them by email to confirm that they want the hub disassociating from their account.

Don't forget that the devices are cross-compatible too, so it's really the AlertMe hubs that will be the gold dust. :)

Weeg

Post by Weeg » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:08 pm

So, the original customers have pretty much been ditched. They've not even bothered to remove the "buy more" from the "my account" tab, so you can still get to the shop and buy accessories - I went through the buying process up until the payment screen.

EDIT: Correct - there are no monitoring devices for sale. I thought they had done away with the shop altogether.

They've more or less stopped posting to their Facebook page, expect that to be dropped soon.