Going back to original security system!

Where the complaints live.
pavilion

Going back to original security system!

Post by pavilion » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:09 pm

Well, I dont need to explain to you lot how bad things have gotten with AM, and all the empty promises, etc etc, so am going back to my previous security system. Just awaiting the install of a replacement bellbox as the current one is knackered. I actually forgot how much safer at night I feel when I hear those 3 beeps and see the display tell me that the system is armed to home mode. It's a Yale system, and Yale have been superb with their customer service. The original 3500 series panel burnt out from use and age, a quick call to them and then sent me an upgraded 6400 series free of charge which has a lot more features. On that note, if anyone is ditching their AlertMe gear and replacing with an alarm system give me a shout if you have any queries. :)

Weeg

Re: Going back to original security system!

Post by Weeg » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:19 pm

It's a shame that you've had to go back to your original security system, especially after shelling out a lot of money based on the promises of upcoming features/new hardware.

I ripped mine out and threw it away so reverting back ain't an option for me. I'll continue to use it but I have a German Shepherd as backup. I'm still hoping for timed Smartplugs and other features when the monitoring interface gets updated, if it ever does - as time goes on it may even have the same fate as the forum :(

I'd say the company took a different road when the new CEO, Mary (can't remember surname) joined along with the rest of the Tiscali management, back in early 2010.

Are you running your AM kit alongside your original alarm or are you ditching AM altogether?

pavilion

Post by pavilion » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:42 pm

what was the old alarm you ripped out. with regards to my alertmes future. for the moment, is still connected. I may leave it that way for the4 alarm detectors, and the security light feature. the security side of it is worthless to me!

Weeg

Post by Weeg » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:19 pm

Can't remember what it was - I moved into the house with it already installed and never used it. The cables to the sensors were not hidden very well and it looked dated, so I threw it out when re-decorating.

What was your main reason for ditching AM security; lack of repeaters, hardware issues, etc?

pavilion

Post by pavilion » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:49 am

lack of additional features on the security side, specifically the audio repeaters and also a few features from the energy side like buttons to operate smartplugs, non repeating smart plugs, timer functionality. I believe that AlertMe will be completely absorbed into British Gas at some point too. Not to mention countless empty promises

roobarb!
Site Admin

Post by roobarb! » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:21 am

pavilion wrote:I believe that AlertMe will be completely absorbed into British Gas at some point too.
That is a concern, as Mary Turner has a history of using mergers and acquisitions to grow companies; not that this is necessarily a bad thing, but there has been a very definite shift in focus of AlertMe since she took the helm. It felt that Pilgrim Beart was much more focused on the system and customer service, both of which have been let slide.
pavilion wrote:Not to mention countless empty promises
Yup. Frankly, that's the worst of it. They repeatedly promise things they never deliver.

Actually, to positive things up a bit, the latest release of the Hub and device firmware is the best they've ever done. Really tightened up on battery life and returning keyfob detection for me. In their classic standard of communication though, they've never actually said whether this release was finished and rolled out to everybody!
Alerty - control your AlertMe system with my third-party app for iPhone and iPod Touch. Available on iTunes!

rgarner

Post by rgarner » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:35 am

I recently moved house and my AlertMe system came with me but 6 weeks on I still have no desire to put it up. Cancelled my sub whilst I ponder what to do...

I have all the kit so it seems a shame to have it just sit there but the company and its promises mean my money is better spent elsewhere. It is most definitely not the customer focused and great company it once was :(

Heating controller, timing functionality, smaller keyfobs, audio repeaters... what else did they promise and never deliver?

pavilion

Post by pavilion » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:48 am

non-repeating smart plugs, which should have been a simple thing. Just dont put in the signal booster element during manufacture, and sell slightly cheaper. An easy win, or could have been! The ability to turn on smartplugs with buttons was another. I also distinctly remember them saying that external repeaters were also on the cards, but then suddenly weren't!, and all knowledge was denied. Infact, just checked! 'The New Wireless Security System from British Gas!, yep you guessed it!! -> http://www.britishgas.co.uk/products-an ... ecure.html
Last edited by pavilion on Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

pavilion

Post by pavilion » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:50 am

reading into that more, i'm actually even more pissed off now. It seems alertme have been slyly working behind the scenes. There are now decoy external sirens, sound repeaters, water leak detectors, gas detectors, and co detectors! Well, we have been well and truly mugged off havent we!

roobarb!
Site Admin

Post by roobarb! » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:47 pm

Wow. Okay, that's interesting. Looks like a new hub of some description, plus a whole bunch of new sensors - it will likely be the same equipment largely repackaged, but there's certainly been some work put into it. Except for the black keyfobs, no effort put in there. ;)

I'm not surprised, given the ties between the two companies, and this at least explains why they've been off the ball on their own AlertMe gear. This leaves us in an interesting situation. They still sell their own solution, so are we going to see the benefit of this development in their own products? If we can buy them piecemeal, will they work with existing hubs? There's some variation in the pricing, mind.

Interesting questions, the answers to which will undoubtable emerge slowly!
Alerty - control your AlertMe system with my third-party app for iPhone and iPod Touch. Available on iTunes!