Going back to original security system!

Where the complaints live.
pavilion

Re: Going back to original security system!

Post by pavilion » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:54 am

I've been in contact with pilgrim about all this. What I was told is pretty much what we already knew - bear with us/stuff is coming etc etc

phil4

Post by phil4 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:42 pm

I guess we all need to remember that Pilgrim isn't some knight in shining armour, he's the founder, and probably still a shareholder in the company. As such it's his duty to sing the company song, to toe the line, and to tell us just what we've already been told.

That's not to say he's lying, just that I don't see why he'd tell us anything different.... why would he call his colleague liers?

My hope isn't that by talking to PB that we'll find out something new, but rather by cusotmers talking to him direct, perhaps he'll see that people are a bit miffed. He may already know, but it won't help to get a reminder.

It won't change in a day, it might not change at all, but it can't hurt.

benjibarnicals

Post by benjibarnicals » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:14 am

Just checked out the BG iPhone app "MyHome" (search iTunes for it) which is a blatant re-brand of the AlertMe app, they even use the AlertMe "house" logo!

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/myhome/id479384086?mt=8

It was only released on the 19th November.

Interesting though, being the geek that I am (and being a web developer) I checked out html/js/css coding used on the British Gas version of the sign in service homepage (https://myhome.britishgas.co.uk/myhome) - You can see the code by going to the page and looking for the "View Source" link in your browser. Anyway, pretty much all the code on the page and more obviously a piece of javascript code that handles date/times not only mentions AlertMe in it's coding but is also an exact match to the same coding used on the AlertMe sign in service page (https://secure.alertme.com/myhome)! Oh, and they both used the same name "MyHome" in the URL...

And while I'm ranting both sites use the same Google Analytics code. Doh that's a school boy error as Google Analytics can't track multiple top level domains in the same account profile.

In fact, that would make me think the BG MyHome site is an AlertMe whitelable, where the actual site sits on AlertMe servers/website but just runs through a different template.

Actually, just ran FireBug (a developer tool for monitor a website) and all the stylesheets, javascript files, images etc that's used on the site has the exactly same URL pattern as AltertMe.

Ok, I really should get out more! :)

If that isn't obvious that AlertMe have partnered up and built their API/webservice into the British Gas website I don't know what is!

james.elson

Post by james.elson » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:54 pm

pavilion wrote:reading into that more, i'm actually even more pissed off now. It seems alertme have been slyly working behind the scenes. There are now decoy external sirens, sound repeaters, water leak detectors, gas detectors, and co detectors! Well, we have been well and truly mugged off havent we!
Whoa! When did that happen? I'm well and truly pissed off that having bank-rolled this with my monthly subs they've not made them available to alertme customers.

James

james.elson

Post by james.elson » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:49 pm

roobarb! wrote: Actually, to positive things up a bit, the latest release of the Hub and device firmware is the best they've ever done. Really tightened up on battery life and returning keyfob detection for me. In their classic standard of communication though, they've never actually said whether this release was finished and rolled out to everybody!
Very true. I'd become fed up with my system not reconnecting to broadband (or falling back to GPRS) whenever I had a router glitch (all too often). I raised a support case last week, was told there was a software update available, had it pushed and now it's working very well. No idea why it wasn't pushed earlier.

James

terry

Post by terry » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:44 pm

I've been reading through this, and have been in contact with AlertMe numerous times regarding their new home monitoring interface, always to be told it'll be released in the coming months.

I've had a look around AlertMe's and British Gas's websites, and it seems like British Gas are getting the stuff first but AlertMe users get it later but improved.

The display that we were promised for years appeared on the British Gas website and we all thought we were never going to get it, then AlertMe launched an improved version that was different from the British Gas one.

If you look at the new interface for the British Gas security system, you can't help but think they have an old stripped down version:
http://www.britishgas.co.uk/images/safe ... ard-01.jpg

They have the old square icons on the bottom, and only 4 things. The AlertMe system has circle icons (since the rebrand) and has 10 icons:
http://www.alertme.com/sites/default/fi ... ing(2).jpg

Also, seems like they've taken off the help link from the home page???
http://www.alertme.com/help

AlertmeUsersSay

Post by AlertmeUsersSay » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:10 am

Hi all, well done on the forum first off! Mark here from the twitter account @AlertMeUsersSay . Been a HM customer since the Gadget Show tested the system a few years back.

I've read this thread and I have to say looking at the kit available on the British Gas version has left me annoyed. How many years have some of us asked for decoy siren box or external alarm. Other people asked for real pet friendly sensors etc. The response some of you have had from Alertme is sadly not surprising but still very disappointing. I cannot understand developing these extra products and not offering to Alertme customers other than an exclusive deal.

I can only imagine that BG asked what do customer like and dislike about your product and then said right solve the dislikes and we'll have it.

Our new interface in summer 2012 wow they must be really busy on more BG work. I have to say I makes me concerned we're going to have redundant system if things continue like this, some company will snap it up and I doubt they'll care anymore about us.

<sigh>Such a difference to the early days when it was all new and exciting and Alertme would engage really well with customers.

terry

Post by terry » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:32 am

Interesting comments at the bottom of this article...

http://www.alertme.com/blog/if-it-hadn% ... known.html

AlertMe still insisting that they are developing their system.

terry

Post by terry » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:44 pm

Have also found this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/se ... NTCMP=SRCH

Looks like the heating controller is coming soon to British Gas.

terry

Post by terry » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:56 pm

phil4 wrote:- BG have taken the AM stuff, and run with it themselves (ie. behind AM's back),
or
- AM have assisted BG and are just spinning us all along.
I think you may have been right with the first point, I have had a decent reply from AlertMe today after saying that I wanted to hear from someone who had some answers.

They are testing new features on the new interface, and they will not give a proper release date until they know 100% that date will not change (I am not sure why a previous poster said Summer 2012, this seems to be untrue).

And, I had this comment regarding the British Gas system:

With regards to the kits that British Gas are retailing, these are made up of our devices, rebranded for Safe and Secure, and a group of devices from another company which have been designed specifically to run on British Gas's server.

So, looks like they've got someone else in to make the new pieces for the BG system, these haven't been manufactured or developed by AlertMe.