Going back to original security system!

Where the complaints live.
Coops

Re: Going back to original security system!

Post by Coops » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:51 pm

This is so frustrating, I'm really disappointed as they could have told us all this, but also I'm annoyed for myself for believing in what Alertme told us on the forums and assuming that all good things would come to those that wait.....

Not sure what to do now, the system they are offering looks exactly like what I always hoped the system would become.... I note that British Gas have even launched their own alarm app - tried my credentials just in case but no luck it looks like a complete new system.

Is there anything we could do under the trades description act?

phil4

Post by phil4 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:39 pm

Awww man, that hacks me off.

So loved alertme when it first came out... sure it wasn't perfect but things seemed to keep moving in the right direct. Support staff were great.

And then over the past 2 years, it's slowly stopped. There's been not a lot new or exciting in ages. And indeed some of the imperfections were never fixed... things that spring to mind. The best examples were:
- Switching the smartplugs via the button.
- A timer
- >30 minute "turn on/off for".

I was a little worried when they went all "green", as that was a big big shift in focus, and really seemed to leave security forgotten (eg. the rebranded interface), which wasn't good, as security wasn't really finished, and it's what I bought it for.

The API was it's only saving grace. I've written a few simple bits that can allow a decent bit of timer functionality and some useful smartplug on/off stuff.

My biggest bugbear that went on and on was repeater devices (smartplug, lamp etc), which kept vanishing offline every week or two. Really annoying. But the latest firmware seems to have cured that.

The final straw, that's gone to far, was to drop the forum. I think it was pretty useless, but it was a good repository of extra information, and at least a way of seeing how annoyed others were. To remove it was a sure sign they don't want pesky customers getting in the way.

I agree that BG seem to have been their biggest focus of late, and I guess we're now seeing the outcome, that is a whole new kit, with things AM had promised years ago but never brought out, eg. the "indoor siren".

As a customer for many years, I feel rather cheesed off that they've changed focus, and started offering their greatest and best to BG while their original customers seem to be ignored.

The hope I guess would be that AM start offering some of those BG items... but I'd wager that won't happen.

I'll continue to use my security system as is, until it stops working, but just wishing it was the AM of old, with the new features that are really still needed.

pavilion

Post by pavilion » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:44 pm

I reckon that stuff on the BG website should work the same on our systems. Theres no reason why not that i can see, its made by alertme. I'm tempted to ask AM. Not that im particularly bothered now, they've had their chance, and managed to prove to me how much of a valued customer I am to them.

Weeg

Post by Weeg » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:24 pm

Well that blows!

After all the requests from us for these types of devices, BG got them. After seeing that BG are on the new monitoring interface and we're not, I'm now wondering if we'll ever get it. Who knows, maybe even AM will stop selling direct to end users.

I was going to buy more kit from them but after seeing the BG stuff I'm holding off - If anyone gets any of the devices from BG and they work, post back.

Coops

Post by Coops » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:41 pm

I've emailed AlertMe support to ask what this means for us AlertMe customers, not holding out much in terms of expectations but will report back none the less.

phil4

Post by phil4 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:00 am

I'm sure technologically they'd work, but I suspect there will be some artificial reasons it won't. Such as either the interface not working with them, or AlertMe support not supporting them.

As a quick expirement I tried logging into AlertMe via the BG link, using my alertme u/p, and unsurprisingly it failed. This says to me that AlertMe don't have a single system, and hence I would guess the devices will be unsupported by the interface.

It'll be intesteresting to see what AM support say.

pavilion

Post by pavilion » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:47 pm

I have just spoken with Customer support. None of the accessories in the British Gas system, will work with our systems are they contain different coding

pavilion

Post by pavilion » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:50 pm

am also currently asking them why they have been released for british gas, and not for us, and whether we will get to see these on our systems

pavilion

Post by pavilion » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:53 pm

they say its something they are looking at, but have no further details. so basically no then, and didnt answer why BG got the stuff we didnt!

pavilion

Post by pavilion » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:06 pm

and the claim that they are going to be putting up a new improved forum. Somehow I dont believe a word of it