FORUM FUTURE - Please Vote!

Using your AlertMe, British Gas Hive, Safe & Secure or Iris system.

Should we keep a forum here or shake hands and call it a day?

Yeah, spin up a nice new Discourse forum!
100%
It's been fun, but it's time to hop off to new things. Tara!
No votes

Total votes: 2

roobarb!
Site Admin

FORUM FUTURE - Please Vote!

Post by roobarb! » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:25 am

Hey everyone,

Well, things are pretty quiet around here at the moment and while I have no problem hosting the AlertMe Users' Forum, I am a bit sick of dealing with phpBB. This is the only place I still have to manage a phpBB platform (more or less) and would quite like to move over to a different forum system. Discourse is the one I fancy.

But, if I'm going to bother, I'd like to know if this place is still worthwhile to anybody. So, if you wouldn't mind giving this poll a whirl, I'll see what the prevailing opinion is. If nobody responds... hehe, well, I guess that'll tell me all I need to know.

Cheers!

Andy.
Alerty - you could control your AlertMe system with my third-party app for iPhone and iPod Touch. Used to be available on iTunes!

Noisyvoid

Re: FORUM FUTURE - Please Vote!

Post by Noisyvoid » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:19 pm

Andy,

For - This is the only place know that covers alertme stuff.
For - there is still some info that is useful (resetting devices) - but this is only useful if/when pyalertme library is finished (see below)
Against - I think its only you and me here :)
Against - I believe most people have probably moved on and put the alertme stuff in a box in the loft

The guy that was putting together a close-source hub (using C) has fallen off the radar - probably came to the same issue with consistency.
My work on the PyAlertme library stopped when the hub seemed like it might be close to being shipped. I have re-looked at home_assistant lately, this is what I am likely to be running as the primary automation tool.

I still want to get the pyalertme (or something using the home_assistant pyzbee code) working with the old smartplugs, just can't spend so much time on it.

Regards,
James

fnk001

Re: FORUM FUTURE - Please Vote!

Post by fnk001 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:11 am

Noo don't shut it down! There's so much information here that would be lost forever. I personally am trying to get the sensors working with XBEE and pyalertme - it's a slow process due to lack to time but I'm hoping to get there - eventually! :)